FlashPunk is a free ActionScript 3 library I designed for developing 2D Flash web games. It provides you with a fast, clean framework to prototype and develop your games in. This means that most of the dirty work (timestep, animation, input, and collision to name a few) is already coded for you and ready to go, giving you more time and energy to concentrate on the design and testing of your game.
- Framerate-independent and fixed-framerate timestep support.
- Fast & manageable rectangle, pixel, and grid collision system.
- Helper classes for animations, tilemaps, text, backdrops, and more.
- Debug console for real-time debugging and information tracking.
- Sound effect support with volume, panning, and fading/crossfading.
- Powerful motion tweening for linear, curved, and path-based movement.
- Z-sorted render lists for easy depth management.
- Simple keyboard and mouse input state checking.
- Quick & efficent particle effects and emitters.
WORKING WITH FLEX
This framework is designed for use with the free Flex framework, used for building Flash applications; by combining this with a code editor such as FlashDevelop or Flash Builder, you can import the FlashPunk library and develop games without the need of the official Flash IDE.
If you’re running Windows, I highly recommend using FlashDevelop, a free open source code editor targeted specifically for ActionScript developers. Once you’ve downloaded it, I have written a tutorial which teaches you how to get your first FlashPunk project up and running.